Thursday, October 9, 2014



I put my hands through the ceiling. Stretch
my fingers between rafters cobwebbed
with memories. There have been rivers
finding their way through shingles, tar paper,
and misspent nails. Is it a question of scale or
of truth. Meanderings along joists to drip from
eaves unnoticed. Silverfish do not swim
though they leave a wake. But that is not what
I was looking for; there was a star I could not reach
or the spruce that rattles in the wind. Needles
bright with hidden light.

It does no good to find your name but I remember
your lips, the swirling jewel of darkness catching
at the corners. The bright burst of laughter and the
softly shaded words. The sun was burning hot for you
while the trees dropped their gold at your feet.
I betrayed myself with every glance. The cheap
perfume of memory lingers while the locks close
around a small breath



.

No comments:

Post a Comment